YOU CAN BE PART OF THE TEAM!
If you have the desire to volunteer your time to help your community in a time of need, then IMERT may the the volunteer opporunity for you.
General Requirements for Team Members
The following are general requirements that all IMERT members
should meet in order to comply with mobilization standards
and performance requirements.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a citizen
or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Must have a valid state issued photo ID.
- Must maintain a current
and unrestricted license, certification, or registration
where required by the Team
position. Read Team position descriptions here.
- All Non-medical team members must be CPR certified
- Must be available to report to a pre-designated
Assembly Point within four hours for an assignment.
be physically fit to handle the rigors of disaster event
- Members are required to have up-to-date contact and medical information on file. Any changes/additions must be reported to the
IMERT office in a timely manner.
- Must maintain a text capable
messaging device (pager or cell phone) to receive activation
attend scheduled mandatory continuing education sessions
and team meetings.
- Must adhere to the IMERT Code of Conduct and all policies pertaining to team participation, involvement,
- Must have completed the federally mandated FEMA Incident Command ICS 100, ICS 200, and NIMS ICS 700.
- Medical team members must participate in at least 1 training, drill, or exercise a year.
- Non-Medical team members must participate in at least 2 trainings, drills, or exercises a year.
Moderate physical fitness requirement – The duties require occasional fieldwork performed by individuals with average endurance and physical conditioning. Individuals usually set their own pace. Disasters demand strenuous activity over long periods of time. Activities include standing for long periods, walking, stooping, and moderate lifting. Long hours of work may be necessary; 12 hour shifts are typical on deployment.
Criminal Background Checks
All IMERT team members are subject to criminal background checks at the time of acceptance to the team as well as periodically throughout their tenure as team members per the direction of IMERT. Convictions Which Serve as Bar to Licensure/Employment that Allows Access to Children in the State of Illinois will be grounds for denial of membership. A list of these can be found HERE.
How to Apply
Applying to IMERT is done in two stages. First, the Preliminary Application stage, where volunteers submit the initial documentation required for team membership. Once the preliminary application package has been reviewed and approved, volunteers will then be given access to the Application for Membership, which must be completed within 30 days.
Before you can submit an application, make sure you meet all of the General Team Requirements listed above. Then you must complete the following three online training requirements. These are:
Preliminary Application Package
To be given access to the application, you must first submit copies of the following required documents. If ALL of the relevant documents are not submitted, your preliminary application will not be considered. You must submit all of the following documents together in one package, email, or fax. Documents submitted individually, or packages that are incomplete will not be considered and will be discarded.
- Your contact information and email
National Incident Management System certificate
Introduction to Incident Command System, I-100 certificate
IS-200 Basic Incident Command System, I-200 certificate
- A copy of your drivers license or state ID
- A copy of your medical license if applicable to the position you are applying
- Copies of any certificates applicable to the position you are applying
- Copies of any credentials applicable to the position you are applying
- If you are applying for a Non-Medical position, a completed copy of the Non-Medical Position Assignment Form
Download the Non Medical Position Assignment Form. To save to your desktop, right click the link and select "Save Target As". If you are completing the form on your computer, make sure you save your responses before printing or emailing the file.
To submit the Preliminary Application Package, you may email the materials to email@example.com, fax the materials to 877.IMERT.60 (877.463.7860) or mail to:
1701 E. Main St.
Urbana, IL 61802
Application for Membership
Once you have submitted a COMPLETE preliminary application package, you will receive access to the formal application within 15 days after the materials have been reviewed. You will have 30 days to complete the Application for Membership.
PDF documents require Adobe Acrobat. Don’t have Adobe Acrobat? Get it here.
Don't have internet access or access to a printer? Call the office to have any relevant preliminary application materials sent to you. 630-701-5344 or 630-701-5345.
Please contact the office if you have any questions or concerns regarding our application process before submitting the preliminary materials.